Sima's Blog

tales from the life of a nomadic cyclist

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Happy NowRuz


Where are my presents???

Today is the first day of spring & more importantly...." NowRuz", the Persian New Year and the most celebrated holiday in the Persian culture.

The spring equinox marks the equilibrium of day & night and Nowruz.

This is the celebration of the renewal of nature after the long winter, and awakening of the earth. Yippee, no more snow, no more rain, no more cold weather, right??? Atleast in Redlands, California where we are heading for our next race.

NowRuz has been celebrated for over 3000 years!!! And its roots date back to the world's oldest religions Zorastrianism.

One of my fondest memories of the NowRuz celebration is the "fire jumping" we would participate in when we were kids. Ok this might sounds a little crazy, I'll explain....On the last Tuesday night of the old year, Persians would gather around bonfires to celebrate Chahar Shanbeh Suri, a celebratory ritual of enlightenment, health, and happiness in the year ahead. We would jump over fires and sing out in Farsi "Give me your beautiful red color/Take back my sickly pallor." Cool huh? wish I had some pictures from my childhood in Iran, I'd share them with you. Instead, here is a picture of my friends Dave and Cindy in Boise doing a little fire dance of their own.
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

Oh yeah, did I mention? Where are my NowRuz presents?



3 Comments:

Anonymous Mahmoud Tavazoie said...

Actualy is the last wednday of old year and as u mentioned it is a glorious ceremony.

Sincearly :

Dad

8:50 PM  
Blogger Sima said...

Thanks baba!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home